New Crescent Moon of Shawwal 1440:
The Astronomical New Moon (conjunction) is on June 3, 2019 (Monday) at 10:03 UT. On June 3, the moon can be seen with high powered telescope in Americas, and can be seen with difficulty in Polynesian Islands. On June 4, 2019 (Tuesday), the moon can be easily seen in almost the whole world except in New Zealand, Australia, and Japan. (See visibility curves).
Saudi Arabia has announced that Eid al-Fitr is on Tuesday, June 4, 2019.
The earliest repoted authentic sighting of the new crescent occurred on Tuesday, June 4 in Australia.
June 3, 2019 (Monday):
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Muneeb Siddiqui from Toronto reported:
On June 3, four men went out to view the moon in Milton, Ontario about 1 hour west of Toronto. We could not find any moon in the sky despite it being clear skies.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr HiMY SYeD from Bramalea, Ontario reported:
I searched for the moon this evening, Monday June 3 2019, from Bramalea, Ontario, Canada. I did not see the new moon. Many of the Islamic Centres in and around Metropolitan Toronto are celebrating Eid al Fitr on Tuesday June 4 2019.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr S. Shahid from Mississauga reported:
I went with a group of 12 adults and 9 kids, attempted to sight the moon. We started the effort at 8:48PM and continued until 9:16PM. The weather was clear and the moon was about 15 hours old. The sunset time was 8:54PM and the moonset at 9:16PM. We also used 2 binoculars.
Nobody from our group was able to see the moon.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Muhammad Sohail from Iquique reported:
On June 3, in Chile the new moon is not sighted any where so the 1st shawal will be on 05/06/2019.
- Not Seen: MCW member Dr Musa�Minhai from Linxia Gansu Province reported:
This evening (Monday, Jun 3, 2019), I and thirty Imames did not the crescent with astronomical telescope at Linxia (Lat: 35�36' 40" N, Lng: 103 � 13' 56" E),And this time ,sunset time is 20:20,moonset time is 20:08). We Used a telescope and a digital camera(24-3000mm,125 full zoom wide), I started scanning the western horizon. The lower portion of the horizon was partly cloudy and hazy. We did not sightong it.So ,In ChinaI, a small amount of people has announced that Eid al-Fitr is on Tuesday, June 4, 2019 ( follow Saudi Arabia) ,most people has announced that Eid al-Fitr is on Tuesday, June 5, 2019 (completed 30 days of Ramadan
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Rasheed Usman, Kozhikode, Kerala reported:
On May 3, the Hilal of Shawwal was not sighted anywhere in the State of Kerala. All the Qazis asked to complete Ramadan 30 days. Shawwal 1 will be from the night of Tuesday and Eid on Wednesday 5th June. Kerala Hilal Committee also declared Eid as on 5th June.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr AR Sugeng Riyadi from Assalaam Observatory reported:
The cresent observation of Shawwal 1440 A.H on 29th Ramadhan 1440 A.H was conducted on Monday, June 03, 2019 in Assalaam Observatory at PPMI Assalaam, Sukoharjo, Central Java Indonesia. An automatic telescope mounting (Vixen Sphinx) was used to guide a 80 mm telescope (Vixen ED80sf) for observation. The sky was completely covered by thick cloud. The sun was unable to be captured after 05.00 pm. The cresent was also unable to be identified after sunset (05.28 pm). A number of participants including the government representatives, academia and community joined the observation.
The Ministry of Religious Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia in the Sidang Isbath decided that Shawwal 1st, 1440 A.H starts on Wednesday, June 05, 2019.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Ali Mohamed from Mombasa reported:
Today Monday 29th Ramadhan 1440 hijrah, the crescent of shawwal not sighted in Mombasa, Kenya. The Chief Kadhi of Kenya has officially announced tomorrow Tuesday will be 30th of Ramadhan.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Mahmood Essa from Mombasa reported:
I tried to look for the new Shawwal Crescent here in Mombasa on June 3, but could not see it. Chief Khadhi of Kenya has announced that the new moon has not been sighted locally hence Muslims will finish 30 days of RAMADHAN. EID will be on Wednesday, 5th June insha ALLAH.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Baba Abdulai from Tamale reported:
The Crescent was NOT sighted in my location. I started my sighting effort at about 18:25 local time and continued after Magrib Prayer. I actually did not expect to see the crescent today since age of moon after conjunction was barely 9 hours and moonset sunset lag time was only about 15 minutes.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Malik Salifu Shaban from Garu Bawku reported:
The crescent for Shawwal 1440 has not been sighted here in Garu in the Upper East Region of Ghana today Tuesday 3rd June 2019 even though the weather was clear. I started looking for the crescent with my friends at sunset at 06:20 local time but the moon was not sighted. I called others from all corners of Ghana but nobody can report sighting of the moon. The official announcement for Eidul Fitr to be observed on Wednesday, 5th June, 2019 was made earlier but due to the announcement by Saudi, some sunni groups decide to observe Eid on June 4.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Ahmed Mohamed Barakah from Windhoek reported:
No moon was sighted anywhere in Namibia, Eid will be on Wednesday 5 June. However those following Saudi sighting will have it on Tuesday.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Abdul Kadir Mulla from Jeddah reported:
No Moon has been sighted in Madina Munawwara on 3rd June.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Gabriel Jairod�n Riaza from Madrid reported:
Islamic Commission of Spain, announces that Tuesday, 04 June 2019, is the first day of Shawwal 1440 and Eid ul-Fitr, following Saudi. However, Ceuta and Melilla follow Morocco.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Lenur Chaush from Kiev reported:
Today, 29 Ramadan 1440 (03.06.2019) I and some brothers tried to sight the moon of Shawwal in Observatory Centre of Odessa region. Sunset at 20:45 and moonset at 20:46 local time, moon age was about 8 hrs so the possibility of sighting was almost nil even with optical aids.
But our Ulema Group decided to officially announce that Eid Al Fitr is on Tuesday 04.06.2019 on the base of Saudi Arabia official decision.
- Not Seen: MCW member Dr Javad Torabinejad from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Monday, Jun 3, 2019), the crescent moon was not seen in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37� 15' 40" N, Lng: 80� 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). I arrived at my sighting location at 8:30 EDT (sunset: 8:38 pm). Using a pair of binoculars (7X35), I started scanning the western horizon. The lower portion of the horizon was partly cloudy and hazy. With no success, I ended the session at moonset (moonset: 9:01 pm). At 8:50 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 63 F, 44 F, 50%, and 30.15 in, respectively.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Mirza Shahid Basravi from Anaheim Hills CA reported:
Five of us tried to look for the new moon from a good vantage point in Anaheim Hills. The western sky was very cloudy, but we still continued to look with several binoculars until 8:20 pm. We were not able to see the new crescent of Shawwal tonight, Monday, June 3, 2019.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Abdur Rauf of Lighthouse Muslim Community Center of New Mexico from Albuquerque, NM reported:
This is an official report stating that the crescent moon was not sighted in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Observations began at sunset (8:19pm) with myself (Imam Abdur�Rauf Campos-Marquetti) and two other Muslim Brothers and a Sister as witnessing this event. We observed with the naked eye and 7x35 set of binoculars til after moonset which occurred at (8:43pm)MST.
No crescent moon was visible during our observations.
Observation Location: Foothills of Sandia Mountains, City of Albuquerque, New Mexico, Elevation~6200ft.
Relative Humidity: 26%: Visibility: 7 miles
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Mohamedraza H.Janmohamed from Sanford FL reported:
The Moonsighting Sub-committee wishes to inform the community that there were no reports of sighting the new crescent for Mahe Shawwal 1440 AH on Monday, June 3, 2019 and therefore upon completion of 30 days, the 1st Day of Mahe Shawwal [EID-UL-FITR], 1440 AH is established as WEDNESDAY, JUNE 5TH, 2019.
June 4, 2019 (Tuesday):
- Seen: MCW member Mr Abbas Aly, from Sydney, NSW reported:
Tuesday 4th June - Moon not sighted in Sydney due to heavy cloud. However it seems to have been seen in Queensland. As data was confirming sighting - we will have Eid-ul-fitr on Wednesday 5th June
- Seen: MCW member Dr Shabbir Ahmed, President of Qubaa association of Western Sydney, NSW reported:
Today (Tuesday) 4th of June 2019, the Hilal of Shawwaal 1440 has been sighted in Brisbane by a group of people. Therefore, the month of Shawwaal 1440 will begin from Wednesday, 5th of June 2019.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Moussa Khalife from Sydney, NSW reported:
Today is 4th of June 2019 the moon was not sighted in sydney Australia, the weather was very cloudy and it was too hard to see the crescent.but there is another group have sighted the moon in other state in Queenslands. So all Muslim communities in Australia is celebrating eid al fitr tomorrow which Wednesday 5th of June 2019 as 1st of Shawwal 1440H.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Muhammad Khatree, Brisbane, QL reported:
In Brisbane, Australia, On June 4, a group of 20 people converged at a park in Calamvale to sight the hilal. The weather was very cold, skies were mostly clear with just a couple of thin clouds on the horizon. The window of possible sighting of the hilal was about 50 minutes, and we expected it to be a very young, thin crescent. The new hilal was sighted via naked eye by some individuals and was also seen on binoculars (see attached photo). This was confirmed by sighters in other parts of the city. Eid Mubarak to all.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Shahnoor Islam from Dhaka reported:
Alhamdilullah moon of Shawal was sighted from differrent part of Bangladesh on 4 June 2019, around 7:00pm (local time).
- Seen: MCW member Mr Mohammed Patel from Bridgetown reported:
Mohammed Patel reporting from Jama Masjid in Bridgetown, Barbados for today,Tuesday 4th June,2019. Crescent SEEN . Conditions were slightly hazy. Seen at approximately 6:37 p.m. local time.Therefore we had 29 days of Ramadan Insha'Allah, the first day of Shawwal will be on Wednesday 5th June, 2019.
- Not Seen: A Muslim, from Brunei Darussalam reported:
Please be advice that in Brunei Darussalam halal was not sighted on Tuesday evening 4 June 2019. It was announced on local Television and Radio 1 Syawal 1440 will commence on Thursday 6 June 2019.
- Not Seen: Former MCW member Mr S. Shahid Mississauga Ontario reported:
On June 4, I attempted moonsighting alongwith my son and our local Masjid Iman who was also accompanied with his 4 children. This was the 30th day when sighting is not mandatory but we are also using such opportunities for teaching our children. While the moonset was one hour and 20 minutes after the sunset but unfortunately the sky was complete overcast. We therefore could not see the moon. We stayed there about 20 minutes after Maghrib and abandoned the effort. Yesterday our community had decided to complete 30 days of Ramadan as per the Sunnah after no sighting. We are celebrating Eid on June 5, 2019 and we are happy to note this is totally in line with visibility curves and the forecast of moonsighting.com, as well as more than 20 years of my own experience performing this Sunnah act.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Musa�Minhai from Linxia Gansu Province reported:
This evening (Tueday, Jun 4, 2019),because it is raining,I did not go to seen the crescent.but many people seen it. But This evening (Tueday, Jun 4, 2019),a one picture of crescent was shot by a Muslim with mobile at Liaoning Province.
- Seen: Mr Khaled Ahmed Shehab from Crailsheim reported:
Today I have 29 Ramdan. I saw to day the Hilal at local time 21.50 with necked eyes our sunset time was 21.24
The sky was not in perfect condition but we saw it ALhamdolillah. Then tomorrow is Eid Inshaallah.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Maqsood Mansoor from Guyana reported:
I personally saw the moon on June 4 and took this picture on the right in Guyana, South America.
Click on the photo on right to see full size.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Md Ohidullah from Birbhum, West Bengal, India reported:
Today's the Tuesday evening on 4th June 2019. The new crescent moon of Saw'al, 1440H. was not seen anywhere in Birbhum of West Bengal because of the cloudy sky. But one of my acquaintances at Andaman Nicobar, saw the moon in the crescent of Shawwal. Haji Kutubuddin, the secretary of Bardhaman Sahara Bazar Darul Uloom Madrasah. Therefore, Eid will be celebrated on June 5.
- Seen: MCW member Molvi Iqbalhusen Bokda from Godhra, Gujrat reported:
Moon was not seen here at Godhra today on 29th Ramadan, 1440 (4th June, 2019 Tuesday), but it was widely sighted in many cities. We got general sighting report from nearby cities like Ahmedabad, Jambusar etc. Most of the crescent committees like Imarate Shariya-Patna, Kolkata, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Deoband, Asam declared Eid all over India on 5th June Wednesday based on general sighting in many cities.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Nuri Alfasi reported:
The Ifta authority of Libya in the capital Tripoli made an official announcement that Tuesday 4th June is Eid. This came out following an official announcement that moon crescent was not sighted on Monday 3rd June throughout Libya and Eid was initially declared to be on Wednesday 5th June 2019.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Nissar Ahmad Ramtoola from Port Louis reported:
The New Moon of Shawwal was sighted tonight in Mauritius in several localities Grand baie, Bagatelle, Ebene, Phoenix, Vacoas . Hence Eid Ul Fitr will be celebrated on Wednesday 5 June 2019. First reported visibility was at 18.05 hrs.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Zakaria Guelzim from Rabat reported:
This is to inform you that I was able to sight the hilal of Shawwal 1440 in Rabat, Morocco on Tuesday 04 June 2019, at 19:57 GMT (20 minutes after Sun Set). The sky was partially cloudy in the sunset area. Hence, the beginning of the month of Shawwal 1440 AH will be on Wednesday 05 June 2019.
- New Zealand:
New Zealand web site apologises for the earlier fake news that was circulating
in their website regarding the new moon for Shawaal 1440H.
It appears that New Zealand website was �hacked�.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr Abid Jafery from Auckland reported:
There has been no sighting from anywhere in NZ and Fiji on Tue 04 Jun 2019 (29 Ramazan 1440).
Hence Thu 06 Jun 2019 will be 1st Shawwal 1440 Hijri and Eid ul Fitr InshaAllah.
- Seen: MCW member Mr AbdulKareem Isa from Garki, Abuja State reported:
The moon was sighted on Tuesday the 4th of June 2019 at Idu Industrial Area, Jabi Airport road. Abuja immediately after magrib prayers at 19:05 hours witnessed by three other muslims with naked eyes. The orientation was 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock. Earlier, the Nigerian Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) had declared Tuesday 4th june as Eid based on some reported sighting in some towns in the Northern part of the country.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Shoaib Saleem from Tarbela Dam reported:
The new moon of Shiwal 1440 seen today at Tarbela Dam by me easily.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Ismail Dehwar from Balochistan reported:
Shawwal moon was sighted in the country on Pakistan and Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated on Wednesday, the central Ruet-e-Hilal Committee announced.
- South Africa:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Rashid Motala from Durban reported:
On the evening of Tuesday 4th June 2019, the Hilaal WAS sighted in South Africa. Therefore Shawwaal 1440 will commence on Wednesday, 5th June 2019 in South Africa.
- Seen: Mr Tehseen Raza Musa Hamdani reported:
The moon was sighted throughout the cities of South Africa on the 4th of June 2019. It was clearly visible in Rustenburg, Pretoria, Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town. Therefore due to the mass sightings across South Africa, Eid Ul Fitr will be celebrated on Wednesday, the 5th of June 2019.
- Sri Lanka:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Suhail Patel from Colombo reported:
The crescent for Shawwal has been sighted at many places in Sri Lanka therefore tomorrow the Wednesday 5th June 2019 will be 1st of Shawwal 1440
- Seen: MCW member Mr Hamza Rijal from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
The Hilal was sighted this Tuesday evening June 4, 2019 in the tiny Island of Zanzibar-Tanzania, the end of the 29 Ramadhan 1440 AH. The official first day of Shawal will correspond with Wednesday, 05 June 2019. Attached Photo taken at Shangani, Urban West, Zanzibar.
- Trinidad and Tobago:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Umar Abdullah from Bon Accord, Tobago reported:
The crescent moon to commence the month of Shawwaal 1440 AH was looked for after the sunset of Tuesday 4th June 2019. Reports from all committees locally and regional confirm that the moon was SIGHTED. We have accepted these reports and has declared that the month of Ramadhan 1440 AH has completed 29 days. Therefore the 1st night of Shawwaal 1440 AH will be the night of Tuesday 4th June 2019 and the first day of Shawwaal1440 AH will be the day of Wednesday 5th June 2019.
Location: lat: 10 35 long: 61 21
Time of Sunset: 18:26:45
Time of the first appearance of the crescent: 18:39
Pressure: 1013 mb
Temperature: 28 �C
Relative humidity: 79%
- Seen: MCW member Mr Juned Patel from Bolton Lancshire reported:
The hilal of Shawwal 1440 has been sighted on Tuesday, 4th of June 2019 (29 Ramadan 1440) here in Bolton, UK. The sky was totally cloudy; it was raining since afternoon. However, other parts in the UK have sighted the moon.
- Seen: Wifaqul Ulama Administrator of Britain reported:
The Hilaal for Shawwal 1440 was sighted in the UK. Wifaqul Ulama Shura have therefore decided that the 1st of Shawwal1440 is on WEDNESDAY, the 05th of JUNE 2019.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Javad Torabinejad from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Tuesday, Jun 4, 2019), the crescent moon was sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37� 15' 40" N, Lng: 80� 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). I arrived at my sighting location at 8:18 pm EDT (sunset: 8:39 pm with the apparent sunset at 8:28 pm). The sky was partly cloudy and extremely hazy. Later, a friend of mine and his wife joined me. We waited till 9:13 pm for the moon to appear in an opening. The first sighting was through a pair of binoculars (7X50), immediately followed by naked eye sightings. The horns were at approximately 2:00 and 7:00 O'clock (2:00;5:00;7:00). We left the area prior to moonset (moonset: 10:05 pm). At 9:15 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 69.0 F, 54.0 F, 60%, and 30.13 in, respectively.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Ayub Mahomed from Harare reported:
Moon sighted in Zimbabwe on June 4. 1st Shawaal will be on Wednesday 5th June 2019 Inshallah.
1st Day of Shawwal (Eid al-Fitr) in Different Countries (Updated when information is available)
Countries that follow Saudi Arabia (Announcement is for Tuesday, June 4, 2019)
- Saudi Arabia
- Burkina Faso
- Iraq (Sunnis Follow Saudi)
- Yemen (Southern)
Countries that follow Turkey (Tuesday, June 4, 2019)
- Turkey (European Council for Fatwa & Research) Altitude >5�, elongation>8� anywhere
- Australia (Turkish Community)
- Bosnia and Hercegovina
- France (CFCM - French Council of Muslims)
- USA & Canada - Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA) /Islamic Society of North America (ISNA).
Countries that have their own criteria
- Australia (Vast Majority - Australian National Imams Council (ANIC) lead by Mufti of Australia(Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Canada (Toronto Hilal Committee) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- China (Following MeccaCalendar.org) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Finland - Calculation (Tuesday June 4, 2019)
- France (UOIF - Union of the Islamic Organizations of France) ()
- Germany (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- India - Hijri Committee of India (Day after conjunction) (Tuesday June 4, 2019)
- Japan (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Kazakhstan (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Kyrgizstan (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Libya (Official Announcement) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Malaysia (Official Announcement) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Nigeria (Official Announcement) (Tuesday June 4, 2019)
- Norway (Islamic Council of Norway - Info from any Muslim country (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Oman (Official Announcement) ()
- Poland (Calculation) ()
- Thailand (Announcement) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Tunisia (Criteria of age, or sunset-moonset lag) (Tuesday June 4, 2019)
- UK [Coordinated by Major Islamic Centres of London] span class=red12>(Tuesday June 4, 2019)
- UK [Wifaaqul ulama)(Sighting from countries east of UK) ()
- USA [Shi'aas Houston Hilal Committee, Chicago Hilal Committee] (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- USA [W. DEEN MOHAMMED COMMUNITY] ()
Countries that follow Local Sighting
- Australia (a small group) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Bangladesh (One group) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Barbados (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Bermuda ()
- Brunei (Thursday June 6, 2019)
- Chile (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Colombia (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Dagestan ()
- Egypt (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Fiji Islands ()
- Ghana (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Guyana (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- India (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Indonesia (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Iran ()
- Iraq (Shi'aas) ()
- Jordan (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Kenya (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Madagascer (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Malawi ()
- Mauritius (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Morocco ()
- Mozambique ()
- Muscat (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Namibia ()
- New Zealand (Thursday June 6, 2019)
- Niger ()
- Pakistan (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Palestine (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Panama ()
- Philippines (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Senegal ()
- Singapore (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- South Africa (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Sri Lanka (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Suriname ()
- Syria (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Tanzania (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Trinidad & Tobago (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Yemen (Northern Yemen) (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
- Zambia ()
- Zimbabwe (Wednesday June 5, 2019)
Back to Top