Moonsighting for Rabi-al-Thani 1434
The Astronomical New Moon is on February 10, 2013 (Sunday) at 7:20 UT. On February 10, it can only be seen with difficulty in USA. On Monday, February 11, 2013, it can be seen all over the world with ease, except New Zealand and Austrailia, where it will be seen on February 12. (See visibility curves).
The earliest reported sighting of the new crescent was on February 10 from San Jose/Hayward, California.
Sunday, 10 February 2013:
- Not Seen: Maqsood (Max) Fazel (MCW member) from Manchester reported:
I was in Berlin over the weekend and our plane left on Sunday 10 Feb at around sunset time. Around sunset just as we climbed above Berlin, it was no surprise that no crescent was seen - moon age being only 9+ hours old etc.
- Not Seen: Ehsan H. Hajar (MCW member) from Casablanca reported:
Ruyat-e-Hilal Committee-Japan announced that the Hilal (Crescent) was neither sighted in Japan nor in Malaysia on Sunday 29th Rabiulawwal, 1434 A. H. (February 10, 2013). Therefore, the 1st of Rabiutthani 1434 A. H. will be on Tuesday February 12, 2013.
- Not Seen: Ehsan H. Hajar (MCW member) from Casablanca reported:
With a clear blue sky but saturated red horizon in Casablanca, I was unable to spot the crescent during the 30 minutes following Sunset. Using my 10x50 binocular. I assume Monday to complete Rabi'3 Aoual 30 days.
Will follow Habous ministry sighting & advise you accordingly.
- Not Seen: Jinadu Yunusa (MCW member) from Kisi, Oyo State reported:
I and my team set out at 6:40pm-6:55pm to try to sight the new crescent today Sunday 29/03/1434 (10/02/2013). We could not sight it due to cloudy weather which overcast the entire sky. We hope to continue the search same time tomorrow in sha Allah.
- Not Seen: Qamar Uddin (MCW member) from Doha (Qatar) reported:
On Sunday 10 February 2013, I was visiting Doha (Qatar) from the UK and tried to observe the Hilal of Rabiul Thani 1434 after sunset with one other person (Hamdan Khan).
The sky was fairly clear, but the Hilal was NOT seen. However, the official Qatar date system stated the 1st of the month will be tomorrow (11 February 2013), anyway.
- Saudi Arabia:
- Not Seen: Luqmaan Williams (MCW member) from Ta'if reported:
I did not sight the crescent last night (Sunday, February 10th) because it was cloudy.
- Not Seen: Dr. Javad Torabinejad (MCW member) from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Sunday, February 10, 2013), the crescent moon of Rabi' II was not sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37° 15' 40" N, Lng: 80° 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). I arrived at my sighting location prior to sunset (sunset: 5:56 pm EST). The western horizon was completely cloudy. I stayed there till 6:05 pm (moonset: 6:43 pm).
- Not Seen: HiMY SYeD (MCW member) from San Jose California reported:
Tonight, February 1o, 2013, I am in San Jose California. The sun set locally at 5:46 p.m. Having searched the almost completely cloud-free western skies for the past 15 minutes, I did not see the new crescent moon. Therefore this is a negative moonsighting report.
I was standing in a parking lot across from Regional Medical Center in San Jose.
- Seen: Dr. Salman Zafar Shaikh (MCW member) reported:
Due to positive naked-eye Hilal sighting on (29th Rabi al-Awwal 1434H - February 10th 2013) in San Jose/Hayward, California, Hilal Sighting Committee of North America announces start of Rabi al-Thani from February 11th, 2013 in North America. See photo on the right.
Monday, 11 February 2013:
- Not Seen: Dr. Shabbir Ahmed (MCW member) Imam of Rooty Hill Mosque Sydney, NSW reported:
On Monday, 11th February 2013, the Hilal of RABI'UL AKHIR 1434 has not been sighted anywhere in Australia. Therefore, the Hilal Committee and Majlisul Ulama' of Australia have declared that the month of RABI'UL RABI'UL AKHIR will commence as of Wednesday, 13th February 2013.
- Not Seen: Engr Manzoor A Mian (MCW member) from Melbourne, VIC reported:
We were unable to sight crescent in Melbourne on 11/2/2013 Monday evening. It was also not sighted anywhere in Australia. Therefore the first day of Rabbiul Thani in Australia is Wednesday the 13th of Feb 2013 InshaaAllah.
- Seen: Mohammed Zafar (MCW member) from Chitradurga, Karnataka reported:
The new crescent was sighted in CHITRADURGA on FEB. 11, 2013 around 6:45PM, and therefore TUESDAY, FEBRURY, 12, 2012 is established as the 1st Day of Rabi-ul-Sani 1434 AH.
- Seen: Yusuf Idara (MCW member) from New Delhi reported:
Today Monday, 11, February, 2013 = 29 Rabi? I (Rabi-ul-Awwal) 1434 Hijri horizon was clear. I, Yusuf Idara was able to sight the Moon of Rabi al-Thani) 1434 Hijri, at New Delhi, India from 06:10 pm to 06:30 very esely with neked eye.
- Not Seen (Cloudy): AR Sugeng Riyadi (MCW member) from Surakarta, Java reported:
On Monday, Feb 11, 2013 The new crescent of Rabiul Akhir 1434 AH was not sighted from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java Indonesia. The west horizon was cloudy. We are about 50 persons from PCM Juwiring, SHS of Al-Islam 1 Surakarta, Sebelas Maret University and my students of CASA.
- Seen in Patra Beach: Ahmad I. Adjie (MCW member) from Bandung reported:
The Hilal has been SEEN by sighters in Denpasar, Bali, straight after Maghrib on Monday 12 February 2013, sighting from Patra Beach just next to Ngurah Rai Airport, however, on the same dusk moon was not sighted in Bandung due to heavy rain clouds to the Horizon. As Denpasar is to the East of Bandung, we will follow Denpasar sighting and have the 1st of Rabiul Tsani on 12 February 2013.
- Seen: Firdaus Mazlan (MCW member) from Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia reported:
On Monday, 11th February 2013 (29th Rabi-al-Awwal 1434 H), I with my friendS (Mr. Muhammad Zainal Abiden bin Mohamad Hani, Mr. Abdul Hayyi Amri bin Alias and Mr. Muhammad Ibrahim bin Jamil) saw the new moon with naked eye at Baitul Hilal, Teluk Kemang, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia (02:26:43.0 N , 101:51:16.0 E) at time 8.11 pm until 8.13 pm.
1. Masjid Sultan Abu Bakar, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia (01°28'00" N , 103°46' 00" E) by Mr. Mohd Razib bin Mohd Aris, Mr. Amirul Akiff bin Zulkifli (19 years old) and Mr. Amirul Izman bin Zulkifli (21 years old), Mr. Azmi (Photografer), and husband and wife from Banyuwangi East Java, and 2 other people using naked eye, at 7.55 pm until 8.05 pm.
2. Lido Beach, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia (01°28'00" N , 103°46' 00" E) by Mr.Muhammad Ibrahim bin Muhammad Saif, Mr. Muhammad Saif bin Sadali, Mrs. Zahrah binti Mohamed, Mrs. Siti Mariam bt Muhammad Saif, Mrs. Siti Mastura bt Muhammad Saif, Mrs. Siti Maisarah bt Muhammad Saif, Mrs. Siti Fatimah bt Muhammad Saif, Mr.Muhammad Ilmi bin Muhammad Saif, Mr. Haji Bukhari, and Mr. Muhammad Noor bin Hj Bukhari, at 7.55 pm until 8.05 pm using naked eye.
4. Wide Area at Jusco Desa Tebrau, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia (01°28'00" N , 103°46' 00" E) by Mr. Muhammad Yusuf, Mr. Muhammad Junaidi, Mr. Muhammad Hadzlan and Mr. Muhammad Hazwan, at 7.45 pm until 8.00pm using naked eye.
5. Pontian Kechil Beach, Pontian, Johor (01° 29' N , 103° 23' E) by Mr. Norashraf bin Norsahperi, Mr. Muhammad Nasir bin Othman and Mr. Muhammad Afiq Nuruddin bin Hamzah, at 7.49 pm until 8.01 pm using naked eye.
6. Taman Ampang, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (04° 35' N , 101° 05' E) by Mr. Nik Muhammad Ridzuan at 7.35 pm using naked eye.
- Not Seen: Nissar Ahmad (MCW member) from Port Louis reported:
On Monday 11 February 2013, the new moon was not visible in Mauritius. Heavy clouds with rain mostly all over the Island. Members of Jummah Masjid Hilal Commitee were positioned in strategic places of the Island. Hence Tuesday 12 February 2013 will be the 30th day of Rabi Ul Awwal 1434 and Wednesday 13 February will be the 1st Day of Rabi Ul Akhir 1434.
- Not Seen: Goolam Tegally (MCW member) from Port Louis reported:
Hilal was NOT sighted evening Mon, 11 Feb in Mauritius due to rainy conditions over the island.
1st Rabi al Thani 1434 will be Wednesday, 13 Feb.
- Seen: Muhammad Aamir (MCW member) from Kathmandu reported:
On Monday, 11 February 2013, the new crescent of Rabi' al-Thaani was sighted in Kathmandu around 6pm. We 6 people were able to sight the moon even with some patches of clouds in the sky. 12 February 2013 is the first day of Rabi' al-Thaani 1434 in Nepal.
- Seen: Mufti Sultan Alam (MCW member) from Karachi reported:
Monday (February 11, 2013 = 29th Rabee'-uth-thani 1434 in Pakistan): Members of Jamia-tur-Rasheed easily sighted the moon countrywide at almost 20 places. Other some places were full cloudy. Official moon sighting committee also received positive reports thus announced that 1st Rabee'-uth-thani 1434 is on Tuesday February 12, 2013 in Pakistan. Due to absence of Mufti Muneeb, meeting was chaired by Maulana Asad Deobandi.
- Seen: Rizwan Shah (MCW member) from Gujrat reported:
Rizwan Shah from Gujrat Pakistan today 11 Feb 2013 (29th Rabi ul-awwal) after sunset I and my 3 friends tried to sight the moon. We easily sighted the moon at 6:17 pm so 1st Rabi ul-thani will on 12 Feb 2013.
- Seen: Qamaruddin (MCW member) reported:
On Monday 11 February 2013, the crescent moon (Hilal) of Rabiul Thani 1434 was easily seen from Doha (Qatar) by many people, including I and Hamdan Khan (who took the attached photos), Alhamdulillah. See photo on the right.
Note that Wifaqul Ulama UK have decided Rabiul Thani 1434 will start from Tuesday 12 February 2013 as the Hilal was not seen yesterday anywhere in the UK or east of the UK/Morocco.
- South Africa:
- Not Seen: Rashid Motala (MCW member) from Durban reported:
On Monday 11th February 2013, the Hilaal was NOT sighted in South Africa. Rabi-us-Thaani 1434 will commence from Wednesday 13th February 2013.
- Not Seen: Dr. Abdurrazak Ebrahim (MCW member) from Cape Town reported:
The Hilaal was not sighted in South Africa this Monday evening (11/02/2013 and the end of 29 Rabi 1). The first day of Rabi 2 shall correspond with Wednesday, 13 February 2013.
- Sri Lanka:
- Not Seen: Nular Bary (MCW member) from Colombo reported:
Today 29th Rabi-al-Awwal 1434H (11/02/2013) the western sky was cloudy & I couldn't see the new Moon of Rabi-al-Thani myself till 7;15 pm.(our sunset was at 6;21pm) and no positive sighting has been reported to our Hilal Committee till late in the evening. Hence the Committee decided to complete the month of Rabi-al-Awwal with 30 days and to start the month of Rabi-al-Thani 1434H on Wednesday 13th February 2013. "Inn Sha Allah"
- Seen: Hamza Rijal (MCW member) from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
The Rabil Thani Hilal was sighted with naked-eye from tiny island of Zanzibar around 1850 local time (1530 UTC), Monday 11 February 2013, The official first day of the Rabi-al-Thani will be on Tuesday, 12 February 2013.
- Seen: Dr. Javad Torabinejad (MCW member) from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Monday, February 11, 2012), the moon was sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37° 15' 40" N, Lng: 80° 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). The western horizon was mostly cloudy. I arroived at my sighting location past sunset (sunset: 5:57 pm EST). I waited so long for the moon to appear in a clearing sopt very close to horizon. Soon after it set (moonset: 7:48 pm). By 7:44 pm, I still could see the earthshine while the crescent portion was below the horizon. At 6:15 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 51.8 F, 41.0 F, 67%, and 29.95 in, respectively.
- Seen: Ayub Mahomed (MCW member) from Harare reported:
Moon was sighted in Zimbabwe on Feb 11. 1st rabiual akhir is on Tuesday 12 February.