Al urjoonul qadeem of Dhul-qi'dah 1439: August 11 and August 10, 2018
On right is the waning (old) Crescent Moon (End of Dhul-Qi'dah 1439 AH), August 10, 2018 (Photo on the right is provided by MCW member Mr AR Sugeng Riyadi from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java): This is decreasing moon that was sighted in Indnesia after Fajr Click on the photo on the right to see full size.
Below is the close up of waning (old) crescent moon Dhul-Qi'dah 1439
Photo taken by MCW member Mr AR Sugeng Riyadi from Assalaam Observatory, Surakarta Central Java).
Click on the photo below to see full size.
Saudi Authorities announced Hajj (Yaum-e-Arafah) to be on Monday, August 20, 2018.
New Crescent Moon of Dhul-Hijja 1439:
The Astronomical New Moon (conjunction) is on August 11, 2018 (Saturday) at 9:58 UT. This is when solar eclipse occurs. On August 11, the moon cannot be seen in most of the world, except possibly with difficulty in Polynasian Islands. On August 11, by telescope it may be seen in Americas but based on past experience it is unlikely. On August 12, 2018 (Sunday), this moon can be seen in almost the whole world (See visibility curves).
The earliest reported authentic sighting of the new crescent was on August 12 from Sydney Australia.
August 11, 2018 (Saturday):
- Declared: MCW member Mr Oyeyemi Oyewo, Ilorin, Kwara State reported:
On August 11, 2018, the wealther was clear here in Lagos, Nigeria. But no sighting of new crescent of DhulHajj. However, The supreme council of Islamic affairs under his eminence Alhaji Sa'ad Abubakar lll the Sultan of Sokoto, has also declared today 12 August 2018 as 1st DhulHajj 1439, following Saudi Announcement.
- Announced: MCW member Mr Gabriel Jairodín Riaza from Madrid reported:
Islamic Commission of Spain, announces that following Saudi Announcement, Sunday, 12 August, is the first day of the month of Dhu’l-Hijjah 1439. Monday, 20 August, is Arafah Day, and Eid ul-Adha is Tuesday, 21 August 2018.
This decision is for most spain except the two autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla that follow Morocco sighting (habous.gov.ma).
August 12, 2018 (Sunday):
- Not Seen: MCW member Engr M Ibrahim Mayar from Kabul reported:
Today Sunday, 12 August, 2018 from 7:00 Oclock to 7:30 local time, I tryed to see the new moon of Zulhejah ; but due to stormy and cloudy Kabul city horizon ,I could not see the new moon.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Shabbir Ahmed, President of Qubaa association of Western Sydney, NSW reported:
Today (Sunday) 12th of August 2018, the Hilaal of Dhul Hijjah has been sighted in Sydney, Brisbane, Alice Springs, Perth and other states.
Hence, the month of Dhul Hijjah will commence from Monday, 13th of August 2018. Eid -ul- Adhaa will be celebrated on Wednesday, 22nd of August 2018.
- Seen: MCW member Imam Abul Qasim Rizvi, Imam Juma Melbourne reported:
Crescent of the month of Dhul Haj 1439 AH has been sighted in Sydney, on August 12, 2018. Insha’Allah Monday 13th August 2018 will be the first Dhul Hajj 1439 AH. 2nd August Wednesday will be Eid ul Adhha.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Falak Raja from Sydney, NSW reported:
At 5:45pm on Sunday 12 Aug 2018 I saw the moon in Auburn Sydney NSW. It was very thin.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Moussa Khalife from Sydney, NSW reported:
Today in Sunday, is 12th of August 2018 and we have as a group sighted the moon from 5:50 pm till 6:10 pm in sydney Australia. The crescent was very thin and the weather was ver clear, so tomorrow Monday 13th of August is the 1st of zul hija 1439H.
- Seen: MCW member Manzoor A Mian of an organized group named Moom Sighting Australia, reported:
The message is that zulhajjah cresent is sighted in Sydney, Perth and many other parts of Australia on 12/8/17 Sunday. Therefor tenth Zulhajjah and Eid will be on 22/8/18 Wednesday in Australia.
- Seen: MCW member Engr. Azizul Huq from Dhaka reported:
On August 12, 2018, Dhaka sky was not clear to see the moon with naked eyes. So I failed to see this myself. Bangladesh govt. announced that the moon has been sighted and on 22nd will be Eid here in Bangladesh.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Mohammed Patel from Bridgetown reported:
Today, Sunday 12th August, 2018. the crescent was SEEN at approximately 6:35 p.m. local time. Therefore we had 29 days of Dhul-qi'dah. Insha'Allah, the 1st of Dhul-Hijjah will be on Monday 13th August,2018. Eid -ul- Adhaa will be celebrated on Wednesday 22nd, August 2018.
- Not Seen: MCW member Mr. Jasmin Džaferovic from Zagreb reported:
The moon supposed to be in the west, i was looking for it after sunset (moon set is at 21:06h) but i cannot see it with naked eye although the sky is clear. These days it's a bit humid.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Hisham M. Hamed from Cairo reported:
I made it to the Masjid shortly after Maghrib (18:40 UT +2), here in Giza(30.0°N,31.2E) Egypt, tonight, Sun Aug 12th, 2018.
Just after Maghrib prayers, I reached my observation point at 19:01. The temperature, pressure and humidity were 32°C, 1003.4 mb, and 44% respectively. The Hilal of Dhi'l-Hajja appeared for the first time at 19:02. It was not very bright, and I had some difficulty photographing it. In the meantime, Venus and Jupiter were both magnificent.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Malik Salifu Shaban from Garu Bawku reported:
The crescent for Zul Hijja 1439/2018 has been sighted in Garu in the Upper East Region of Ghana today Sunday 12th August 2018 at 18:25 local time before Magrib prayers. I saw the moon alongside my friends at the ASWAJ mosque and everybody could see the moon very clear here in Garu.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Rasheed Usman, Kozhikode, Kerala reported
Hilal was seen at Kapad Beach Kozhikode, Kerala this evening, Sunday, August 12. Eid-al-Adha was declared as on Wednesday 22nd August.
- Not Seen (Cloudy): MCW member Mr Yusuf Idara from New Delhi reported:
Today Sunday 12-August-2018 = 29-Ziqada-1439. I & My Family & friends tried to see We tried to see the crescent of the month Dhul Hijjah for few minutes after sunset but it was raining and the horizon was full of clouds. And Shahi Imam Of Jama Masjid Ahmed Bukhari Also said the Moon is not sighted.
- Seen: MCW member Mr AR Sugeng Riyadi from Rowasiya Observatory in Bendo Ketitang Juwiring Klaten Central Java reported:
On August 12, the new crescent of Dzulhijjah 1439 AH was not seen on my location at Ketitang Juwiring Klaten Central Java Indonesia. We were several moslems tried to observe the moon and the sky was hazy after the sunset.
The crescent was captured by LAPAN at Pasuruaan and many people from LFNU at several locations on East Java.
The 1st of Dzulhijjah 1439 AH in Indonesia starts on Monday, August 13, 2018 according to Itsbat hence Ied Adha will celebrate on August 22, 2018.
- Seen in Neighboring Countries: MCW member Mr Muhammad Aamir, Vice Secretary Nepali Jame Masjid Committee, Kathmandu reported:
On August 12, the moon at my home from 07:00 pm to 07:30 pm was not sighted because the horizon was too cloudy.
Shahi Imam Of Jama Masjid Ahmed Bukhari Also said the Moon is not sighted
Darul Ifta Wal Qazaa, Nepali Jame Masjid later established contact in the neighbouring countries. Except India, other countries had announced the sighting of the moon. We had a 4.5 hours long meeting with Qazi of Darul Qazaa to follow Australia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, the majority countries. They have same matla that we have. Finally, they were convinced and announced Monday, 13/08/2018 as officially first day of Dhul Hijjah in Nepal.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Nissar Ahmad Ramtoola from Port Louis reported:
The new moon of Zil Hajj has been easily sighted in Mauritius at many locations on Sunday night 12 August 2018. Hence Eid Ul Adha will be celebrated on Wednesday 22 August 2018. Earliest reported visibility was at 18.02hrs while Sunset was at 17.56 hrs.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Zakaria Guelzim from Rabat reported:
The Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in Morocco informed the citizens that they observed the moon of the month of Dhu al-Hijjah 1439 AH, after Maghrib of Sunday, 29 Dhu al-Qa'dah 1439 AH, 12 August 2018. It has established the vision of the crescent.
The beginning of the month of Dhu al-Hijjah for the year 1439 AH will be on Monday 13 August and Eid al-Adha will be on Wednesday 22 August 2018.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Ahmed Mohamed Barakah from Windhoek reported:
On August 12, the Moon was sighted in windhoek @ 17.06 local time.
- Seen: Mufti Munibur-Rahman, of Pakistan Ru'yat-e-Hilal Committee declared:
On August 12, new moon has been sighted. Eid-al-Adha will be on Wednesday, August 22, 2018.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Jalil Rayhan from Cotabato reported:
On August 12, Hilal was sighted at 6:22 pm LT, Cotabato City, Philippines. Hilal (crescent) shape: 1 o'clock - 7 o'clock more or less.
However, Officially the country follows Saudi Arabia.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Ibrahima Thierno LO from Dakar reported:
On Sunday 12 of August 2018, I observed the crescent myself here in Dakar, Senegal just after maghrib today.
- South Africa:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Shakil Vayani from Witbank reported:
Moon for Dhul-Hijjah was sighted in Witbank as per attached picture at exactly 6pm on Sunday 12th August 2018.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Rashid Motala from Durban reported:
On the evening of Sunday 12th August 2018, the Hilaal WAS sighted in South Africa. Therefore Zul-Hijjah 1439 will commence on Monday 13th August 2018 in South Africa.
- Sri Lanka:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Nular Bary from Colombo reported:
Today 29th of Dhul-qi'dah 1439H (12/08/2018) cloudy evening in Colombo. The New Moon of Dul Hijjah been sighted in several other places in the country today and The Colombo Grand Mosque Hillal committee announced to complete the month of Dhul-qi'dah with 29 days and start the month of Dul Hijjah Tomorrow Monday 13th August 2018. "InShaAllah" Eid Dul Alha will be on Wednesday 22th August 2018 in Sri Lanka
- Seen: MCW member Mr Hamza Rijal from Tiny Island of Zanzibar reported:
On Sunday 12th August 2018, the Hilaal was sighted in tiny island of Zanzibar, Tanzania around 18:38 East African Time (15:45 GMT) even though the sky was hazy but number of Muslims who are eager to observed the Hillal managed to observed the Hillal for Dhul Hijja.
The Mufty office have confirmed the beginning of the month of Dhul Hijja on 13th August 2018.
- Trinidad and Tobago:
- Seen: MCW member Mr Umar Abdullah from Bon Accord, Tobago reported:
The crescent moon to commence the month of Dhul Hijjah 1439 AH was looked for after the sunset of Sunday 12th August 2018. Reports from all committees locally and regional confirm that the moon was SIGHTED.
We have accepted these reports and has declared that the month of Shul Qa'dah 1439 AH will complete 29 days. Therefore the 1st night of Dhul Hijjah 1439 AH will be the night of Sunday 12th August 2018, and the first day of Dhul Hijjah 1439 AH will be the day of Monday 13th August 2018.
Location: lat: 10 35 long: 61 21
Time of Sunset: 18:26
Time of first appearance of the crescent: 18:45
Pressure: 1014 mb
Temperature: 23 °C
Relative humidity: 79%
- Seen: MCW member Mr Ishmael Khan from Princes Town, Trinidad reported:
On Sunday 12th August immediately after Maghrib the new moon for Dhul Hijjah was sighted. This is the first night of Dhul Hijjah.The crescent being 4:00 O’clock to 8: 00 O’clock. Monday 13th August 2018 is the 1st day of Dhul Hijjah.
- Seen in neighboring countries: Wifaqul Ulama Administrator of Britain reported:
Moon was sighted in France, and Morocco which is our closest Muslim country. Wifaqul Ulama have therefore decided that after 29 days of Dhul-Qa'dah, the month of Dhul-Hijjah 1438 will begin from Monday, the 13th of August 2018. In Islamic terms, it implies that the blessed month of Dhul-Hijjah has begun after sunset on the 12th of August 2018.
- Not Seen (Dense clouds: MCW member Mr Juned Patel from Bolton Lancshire reported:
On Sunday, 12th of August 2018 (29 Dhul-Qaidah 1439 AH) between 20:30 to 21:40 UTC (Sunset 20:44 & Moonset 21:33 UTC) at Bolton, UK the Crescent has not been sighted and the sky was completer covered with very dense clouds.
On Monday, 13th of August 2018 (1 Dhul-Hijjah 1439 AH) between 20:35 to 22:00 UTC (Sunset 20:42 & Moonset 21:59 UTC) at Location: B6226, Chorley Old Road, Bolton, Lancashire, UK +53°35'37"N, -2°29'24"W / Altitude: 220m Height; I saw the crescent moon (Hilal) of 2nd Dhul-Hijjah. The Crescent has been sighted at 20:39 just for 30 seconds and then got hidden behind the dense clouds, and orientation was from 1 to 7 O’clock.
- Seen: MCW member Dr Javad Torabinejad from Blacksburg VA reported:
This evening (Sunday, August 12, 2018), the crescent moon was sighted in Blacksburg, VA (Lat: 37° 15' 40" N, Lng: 80° 26' 56" W, and elevation: 646 meters). I arrived at my sighting location at 8:05 pm EDT (sunset: 8:19 pm). The western horizon was partly cloudy and hazy. Using a pair of binoculars (7X50), I started scanning the horizon. Venus was sighted at 8:09 pm through the pair of binoculars and then at 8:16 pm by naked eye. At 8:20 pm, I left the location for another one. I arrived at the new location at 8:26 pm and waited for the moon to appear in a clearing. The first binocular sighting of the crescent was at 8:37 pm followed by naked eye sighting. The horns were at 1:30 and 6:30 O'clock (1:30;4:00;6:30). I left the site at 9:00 pm (moonset: 9:28 pm). At 8:35 pm, the temperature, dew point, relative humidity, and pressure were 67.0 F, 64.0 F, 90%, and 27.9 in, respectively.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Mohamedraza H.Janmohamed from Sanford FL reported:
The Moon-sighting Sub-committee wishes to inform the community that the new crescent for the month was sighted in Toronto, Ca, as well as other cities of USA on Sunday, August 12, 2018
Therefore the 1st Day of Mahe Dhulhijjah, 1439 AH is established as MONDAY, AUGUST 13, 2018
- Seen: MCW member Mr Khalil Yaseen from Southfield, MI reported:
I just saw the new moon of Dhul-Hijjah 1439H. in Southfield, MI with the naked eye about 9:30 pm.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Shahnoor Syed, On Behalf of Mahdavia Ruiyat e Hilal of Chicago IL reported:
On August 12, there were positive HILAL sighting reports by our volunteers received from multiple locations across mainland USA on the 29th of Zul Qadh. Monday, August 13, 2018 will be the first of Zul Hajj.
- Seen: MCW member Mr Ayub Mahomed from Harare reported:
Today, August 12, the Moon sighted in Zimbabwe. Ist dhu-al-Hijja will be on Monday, 13 August inshallah.
Eid al-Adha in Different Countries (Updated when information is available)
Countries that follow Saudi Arabia (Tuesday, August 21, 2018)
Countries that follow Turkey (Eid-al-Adha is on Tuesday, August 21, 2018)
- Saudi Arabia
- Burkina Faso
- Iraq (Sunnis Follow Saudi)
Countries that have their own criteria
- Turkey (European Council for Fatwa & Research) Altitude >5°, elongation>8° anywhere
- Bosnia and Hercegovina
- France (CFCM - French Council of Muslims)
- USA & Canada - Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA) /Islamic Society of North America (ISNA).
Countries that follow Local Sighting
- Canada (Toronto Hilal Committee) Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Egypt - Moon Born before sunset & moonset 5 minutes after sunset Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- France (UOIF - Union of the Islamic Organizations of France)
- India - Hijri Committee of India Tuesday, August 21, 2018
- Indonesia (Official Announcement) Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Libya (Official Announcement)
- Malaysia (Official Announcement)
- Norway (Islamic Council of Norway Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Oman (Official Announcement) Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Poland (Calculation)
- Spain [Union of Islamic Communities of Spain (ucide.org), Islamic Commission of Spain]
- Thailand (Announcement)
- Tunisia (Criteria of age, or sunset-moonset lag) Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- UK [Coordinated by Major Islamic Centres and Mosques of London]
- UK [(Wifaaqul ulama), (Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat], OR (Sighting from countries east of UK) Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- USA (Fiqh Council of North America/Islamic Society of North America) Tuesday, August 21, 2018
- USA [Shi'aas Houston Hilal Committee, Husseini Islamic Center, Sanford, Florida, Chicago Hilal Committ Wednesday, August 22, 2018e]
- Australia Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Bangladesh Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Barbados Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Bermuda Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- China Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Colombia (Follow Chile sighting)
- Fiji Islands
- Ghana Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Guyana Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- India Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Iran Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Kenya Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Madagascer Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Mauritius Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Morocco Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Namibia Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Nepal Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- New Zealand Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Pakistan Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Senegal Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- South Africa Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Sri Lanka Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Tanzania Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Trinidad & Tobago Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- UK Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- Zimbabwe Wednesday, August 22, 2018
Back to Top